I like quirky writing.
I love ‘Dear Me’ – celebrities who’ve written letters to their sixteen year old selves. Insightful, sometimes funny, sometimes poignant.
Hugh Jackman, Jodi Picoult, Michelle Rodriguez, Alan Cumming… my favourites.
It got me thinking about what I would say to my sixteen year old self and I think it would go something like this.
It’s been a while huh? I thought I would take this opportunity to share some pearls of wisdom that I have acquired over the years – whether you take heed of them is entirely your choice…
- You’re probably sat worrying about what other people think about you. Don’t. I know it’s easy for me to say but trust me, it gets you nowhere.
- Your fashion sense will improve and so will your sense of humour.
- You need to learn to laugh at yourself and don’t take everything so personally – some days will be harder than others but there is great power to be found in doing these things.
- That guy who broke your heart – one day you will break his and it will be the best thing you will ever do.
- You’re not sporty, you never will be and don’t ever pretend to be. That way lies embarrassment.
- It’s ok to be alone, you are good at it and one day will come to enjoy it – it will not only give you great strength, it will be your greatest strength when it comes to standing tall against toxic people who come into your life.
- Embrace the way you look, you can’t change it and you’ll blossom – ignore the haters and make the most of what you’ve got.
- Trust your instincts – your gut is never wrong and the sooner you realise this the better.
- People will come to you for advice and guidance, they too will learn to trust your instincts. This skill will take you far in life but use it wisely.
- Learn when to keep your mouth shut and remember, it’s not what you say, it’s the way you say it. You’ll be hearing this alot right now I’m sure, but it will be a struggle for you to overcome. Try harder.
I know you probably expected more from me but you should know that you will see and do a lot in life – and you will regret nothing. The details are just spoilers.
Make the best decisions you can with the information you have at the time and be reassured by what I’ve said. You’ll get there, don’t worry.